Ignorance and Sexual Intimacy
As a young adult my limited and basic understanding of
sex was what was wrong and bad before marriage was good after you were married,
it was an expression of love, and the way to have children. This topic was not
talked about in our home, and if it had been I probably would have died of
embarrassment. Looking back, I feel like there were great big gaps in my
understanding (and my husband’s) which has taken us many, many years to figure
out, and at times has been a bumpy road.
I felt that to read and study about sexual intimacy
would be considered the same as looking at pornography—something to avoid. I have
come to realize that it was okay for me to seek to understand this holy gift
and I was led to sources that helped me and my husband overcome some problems
we faced (most of them due to ignorance)—not understanding the differences,
both physiological and emotional, in men and women in general, and in my
husband and myself individually. Some of our issues stemmed from preconceived
notions, not knowing how to verbally express our ourselves, and selfishness.
“Thousands
of young people come to the marriage altar almost illiterate insofar as this
basic and fundamental function is concerned. The sex instinct is not something
which we need to fear or be ashamed of. It is God-given and has a high and holy
purpose … We want our young people to know that sex is not an unmentionable
human misfortune, and certainly it should not be regarded as a sordid but
necessary part of marriage. There no excuse for approaching this most intimate
relationship in life without true knowledge of its meaning and its high
purpose.” (Bookcraft, 1960, pp. 73, 76; emphasis added)
There was a time in our marriage, in the middle of having
children, sexual intimacy became an unwelcome chore for me. I was so exhausted
physically and emotionally from taking care of children day and night, that my
husband’s desire became just one more thing someone else needed from me; I
started to dread and even resent it. A kiss or hug from me became a hope or
expectation for him, so I even started avoided those things. Neither one of us
could see past our own feelings and needs. We struggled with this for years. It
was only through desperation to find a solution and seeking help through study
and prayer that we were able to finally listen to one another, talk,
compromise, and make a plan to change ourselves by focusing on the other. It
was Through both divine and practical help I was eventually able to change my
perspective and feelings.
I don’t know if studying and understanding more about
sexual intimacy before this situation would have saved us from this situation,
but as a mother, I am now thinking about how I can better prepare my children;
when, what and how can I teach them?
Sexual intimacy is a sacred subject and can be
uncomfortable to talk about, but how can we better prepare our children to
understand sexual intimacy within marriage, so they can avoid heartache, that
comes from a lack of knowledge or misunderstanding of its purpose?
Comments
Post a Comment