Family Councils
Elder Ballard, in Counseling
with Our Councils, explains how action and decisions in the church are made
through the Council of the First Presidency and Council of the Twelve. Men with
differing opinions and backgrounds discuss and deliberate issues without
contention or discord. He relates, “I have observed a beautiful and remarkable
thing—the coming together, under the directing influence of the Holy Spirit and
under the power of revelation, of divergent views until there is total harmony
and full agreement.” This is how the Lord directs his work.
Councils can also be also successfully to direct the Lord’s
work within marriages and families.
The Family: A
Proclamation to the World states that God’s desire is for “families to be
united eternally. Husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to love and
care for each other and for their children. Parents have a sacred duty to rear
their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and
spiritual needs, and to teach them to love and serve one another, observe the
commandments of God, and be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Husbands
and wives—mothers and fathers—will be accountable before God for the discharge
of these obligations.”
As husbands and wives meet regularly together in council
they will strengthen their relationship and know how to make the right
decisions for their family and take care of their children and each other as
they have been charged with.
I have had the experience where I have had a firm opinion
based on my knowledge and experience and then when listening to other’s
differing opinion based on their knowledge and experience, have changed my
opinion because I suddenly understand things more clearly. I believe the spirit
helps in this process. This is how councils work.
Even though our eternal goals are in harmony, my husband and
I have not always agreed on everything pertaining to our children, such as
discipline and medical treatments at different times. Through honest
discussions, prayer, and a desire to do what is best for our children, we have
always come to a concurrent decision which, I believe, represented the will of
the Lord.
Important principles of a council:
1.
Personal righteousness
2.
Allowing all to express their opinions
3.
Humility
4.
Avoiding contention
5.
Seeking unanimity and the will of the Lord
through revelation
Comments
Post a Comment